Monday, May 19, 2014

A Grand Day Out

About a week ago I went on an outing with Joshua's sister, Courtney and our friend Valerie, to the Pie Lab in Greensboro. It was a neat old town with some really neat old houses in and around it. I took a lot of pictures.

Some of the houses we saw on the way to Greensboro.

I felt sorry for this one. It could be so pretty! Someone needs to love that house.

 



 
Greensboro.

While we were there, we visited some of the other shops. One of them was HERObike, where they use bamboo to make bikes!

Can you see the bamboo?

I had to post this. Valerie pointed out the hinges on the doors to HERObike. Aren't they gorgeous?

On to the Pie Lab!

Lunch was so good!

As was the pie! Mine was the coconut chess on the left, Valerie's was snickerdoodle, (middle), and Courtney got chocolate peanut butter. 

Shameless selfie.

Leaving the Pie Lab.

Valerie and her husband had some cows for sale at the stockyard, and we were in the area, so we decided to go check it out.



On the catwalk. 

 
    On the way back home we saw this neat house, and when we slowed down to take pictures, noticed it had an 'open' sign in the window. So we went to check it out! It turned out to be Auburn University Rural Studio, which I believe they said is a branch of Auburn's School of Architecture. The students live there, (the girls in the house, the boys in pods out back) and work on their projects. If you're interested in learning more about it, they have a website: http://cadc.auburn.edu/architecture/special-programs/rural-studio


The boy's pods. The only students still there were girls, (the rest were on summer break as far as I can remember) so they let us look at the pods.

This one's made of cardboard! Seriously, I'm not kidding!

This one's covered in license plates.

A walkway to one of the other pods.

Can you tell architectural students live here?

Some interior decoration in one of the pods.

After we looked at the pods, the staff suggested we drive down the road a little ways and look at some of the student's projects. One of the students was still there and she showed us around their.....studio I guess. I'm not sure what she called it, but it's where all the work gets done.

  

There were little models all over the place.


And a flying book! We saw quirky things like this all over the place.

   After that we went home. I don't know about the other two, but my feet were killing me! It was a lot of fun, though, and I hope we'll be able to set up another outing soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment